Purpose of Group:
Support groups increase:
- skills to promote resiliency
Frequency of Group:
Support groups may met anywhere from once a week to monthly.
Types of Groups:
- ANGER MANAGEMENT – This group focuses on Anger and Conflict Resolution. Lessons may include: causes of anger, defining feelings, alternative choices to violence, calming skills, making good choices, and personal responsibility.
- GRIEF AND LOSS – This group focuses on dealing with Grief and Loss. Lessons may include: stages of grief, defining feelings, reflection, memory boxes, personal responsibility and making positive choices.
- STRESS AND ANXIETY – This group focuses on Coping with Anxiety and Stress. Lessons may include: Causes of anxiety and stress, coping skills, calming skills, changing negative thought patterns, making good choices, and personal responsibility.
- CONCERNED PERSONS – This group for those who are concerned about someone close to them, maybe they are dealing with a health issue, drug addiction, abuse, etc. Topics will include: What I can and cannot control, making healthy choices, personal responsibility, coping skills, how to talk about the issue, and where to get additional help.
- INSIGHT – This group is meant for those struggling with life, goal setting, and friendships. Topics will include: defining self, working on goals, identifying strengths, making positive choices, coping skills, identifying wants/needs and creating a plan of action.
- VAPING/SMOKING CESSATION – This group is for those who are struggling with nicotine addiction. Topics will include: defining addiction, risks of vaping/smoking, health cost analysis, making positive choices, alternatives to smoking/vaping and creating goals to stop use.
- CHEMICAL AWARENESS – This is for teens struggling with substance use including vape, drug or alcohol. Topics will include: definition of addiction, risks of use, health cost analysis, making positive choices, alternatives to drug use, and creating a plan of action to stop use.
Other Information about group:
- Group sessions are during school usually for one hour. Groups are conducted different hours each week so that the student does not miss the same class each week.
- Students are responsible for any classroom work they miss.
- Group is voluntary. Sharing is optional.
- All group members are expected to keep confidentiality.
- If there is a group not listed, it can be requested.